All about Hardwood
Highly desirable and timeless, when it comes to classic flooring, there’s truly nothing like genuine hardwood flooring. But not all woods are created equal. Here are a few points to consider while deciding on wooden flooring for your favorite space:
- For your bedroom or home office: Rooms that are set back from your home’s main thoroughfare – and therefore experience less traffic- are ideal locations for softer wood varieties, including pine, black walnut, and black cherry.
- For your entryway, living room, or kitchen: These rooms are often the heart and hub of your hectic household. Oak, hickory, or other harder woods will weather heavy foot traffic.
- Down in the basement: If your basement is below grade, the space is likely to get too humid for solid wood flooring. Engineered wood, however, offers additional stability, making it possible to enjoy wooden floors in your man-cave.
- Bathrooms: Areas with tubs, showers, and sinks are poor locations for wooden floors, since the constant splashes and spills will cause them to warp over time.
You’ll also want to consider your subflooring, as that, too, will determine which flooring is right for your selected space:
- For a plywood subfloor: Engineered wooden strips that click together, floating cork plans, or any type of nail-or-glue-down hardwood are all great options.
- For an existing wood floor: Factor-applied finishes and thinner boards will make for safe, trip-free transitions to adjoining rooms.
- For a concrete subfloor: Click-together flooring, or floor planks that glue down are both options, while nailing isn’t.
- For a radiant subfloor: Solid wood isn’t the best option. Engineered planks are thinner and also offer more stability.
Our Hardwood Selection
City Carpets Carpet One Floor & Home in San Rafael has you covered with one of the area's best selections of hardwood flooring. Our two featured hardwood brands are Shaw and Provenza. We also have styles from Invincible, which is a Carpet One exclusive.
In addition to our selection of hardwood brands, we provide expert services such as hardwood installation.